What are Support Groups?
Recognized by the Mental Health Commission of Canada, peer support is an important part of recovery from mental illness by building a supportive relationship between people with common lived experience, and focusing on health and recovery rather than illness and disability.
Our groups are specifically designed to provide people living with mood and anxiety disorders an opportunity to connect and share with others who have similar experiences. Groups are peer-led, informal, and focused on self-help and recovery.
What we provide:
- Safe and accepting environment
- Pressure free
What we are not:
- Mental health professionals (eg. psychologists, social workers)
- A place to diagnose
- A substitute for professional therapy or treatment
- Religious or faith-based
How can I attend?
All of our peer support groups are free, drop-in basis with no referral or formal diagnosis required. We offer an inclusive environment for all participants, whether you’re living with a mental health condition or if you’re looking to learn more about how to support a loved one with mental illness.
To attend a meeting, find the location and time that works best for you and drop in. Our facilitators will welcome you to the support group. Attendance is completely voluntary – come to as many meetings as you’d like.
Who are your facilitators?
Our team of trained facilitators have a wide range of experience with mental health including directly living through mental illness and working with others. Two SupportWorks facilitators co-host each meeting using the following format:
- Introduce themselves and explaining the rules and timing for the two-hour session.
- Begin the discussion with a roundtable check-in with each participant.
- First name
- A good thing they experienced this week
- A challenge they faced this week
- Open the floor to a free-flowing discussion allowing participants to share ideas.
- Complete a checkout with each participant and ask for feedback.
- Sum up the session’s discussion and provide a reminder for the next week’s meeting.
We are here to help each other.
All meetings are 100% free and no registration is required. All you you need to do is show up!
Please note that SupportWorks has a no pets and no food policy out of respect for our partners who provide this space.